Escape the demands of everyday life by planning romantic weekend getaways that will give you the perfect opportunity to relax, unwind, and enjoy some quality time together. Like anything of value, love must be nurtured, and keeping the spark and sizzle in our relationships requires the most precious commodity - time. Even if you cannot afford an extended vacation, steal away for a few days to a world where all distractions disappear and the only priority is re-igniting the passion and reconnecting with each other. There are so many vibrant cities that inspire romance and cater to couples in love that you can easily find an idyllic escape that will suit both your budget and personal preferences.
Often considered to be the North American counterpart to Paris, New York offers everything needed for the perfect romantic couples retreat. Art, culture, and entertainment scattered amongst first class hotels, amazing shopping, and some of the best restaurants in the world make this city absolutely spectacular in any season of the year.
Snuggle up on a romantic horse drawn carriage ride through Central Park, skate hand-in-hand at Rockefeller Center, or enjoy an elegant evening at the ballet or opera. Dress in your finest and savor a cozy candlelight dinner, complete with exceptional service and live piano music. Then take in a performance of the renowned New York Philharmonic or a concert at the famous Lincoln Center.
Stroll through Times Square, experience the awe of hope and freedom at the Statue of Liberty, or take a trip the the top of the Empire State Building and appreciate the breathtaking view of America's most romantic city.
Take advantage of package deals that include accommodations and tours of the city so you can experience the best of the Big Apple and still stay within your budget. Spend a night at the luxurious Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons, or be treated like royalty in the opulent ambiance and ornate architecture of the historical St. Regis. Or, you can stay in a small country inn, a charming bed and breakfast, or a even a more reasonably priced popular chain such as the Ramada or Red Roof Inn.
Enjoy the excitement and energy of the City that Never Sleeps, stroll through the amazing boutiques and shops of the Fashion Capital of the World, and spend some time basking in the romance of America's own City of Light.
White sand beaches, glorious sunsets, and the romantic glamor of Hollywood draws thousands of couples who are looking for the perfect combination of exciting adventure and peaceful seclusion. Visit the Santa Monica Beach and Pier and stroll arm-in-arm down the Third Street Promenade where you can enjoy quiet, cozy cafes or bistros, explore the wares of book stores, farmers markets, or gift shops, and take in the variety of unique street entertainment.
Take an enchanting gondola ride through the canals of Naples then spend a starry-eyed afternoon with the legends of the silver screen along the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Linger over dinner on a sunset flight or sip champagne while admiring the bird's eye few from your own private helicopter.
Offering everything from quiet luxury and intimate retreat to exciting attractions and an electrifying nightlife, Cupid will be certain to pay you a visit during your stay in the City of Angels.
Diverse culture, old world charm, and rich history create a magical atmosphere that transports guests to the mystery and intrigue of underground clubs, house music, and Al Capone. One of the most fascinating American cities, Chicago offers something for every couple from peaceful beaches, beautiful parks, and amazing shopping.
Allow the smooth sultry sounds of Jazz music serenade you while you enjoy an intimate picnic at the Petrillo Music Shell, and then sip a few drinks and admire a great view of Lake Michigan and Chicago's skyline from the Signature Lounge, located on the 96th floor of the John Hancock Center.
Walk the Magnificent Mile and discover the hidden treasures of exclusive shops, boutiques, and museums. Snuggle up for a ride on the ferris wheel at the Navy Pier or view the landscape from an aeroballoon that will take you 300 feet above the city's spectacular scenery.
Take a romantic dinner cruise on Lake Michigan, ice skate at McCormick Tribune Rink, or watch from the skydeck of the Sears Tower as the night sky stars dance with the city lights. Many Chicago hotels have romance packages that include special features for couples so you can choose the perfect option for your special getaway.
Maybe you prefer a country setting with the cozy cabins and crackling fires of Big Bear, California, the crystal clear lakes and outdoor activities of Wisconsin, or the historical intrigue of the Golden Gate Bridge and trademark cable cars of San Francisco. Whatever you are looking for, you can find ideal romantic weekend getaways that will give you the perfect excuse to spend time with someone you love.
Or...romantic weekend at home
Planning a romantic weekend at home is easy and affordable. Follow the guidelines below to ensure a pleasurable time for two.
1. If you have a son, make arrangements for them to stay with someone for the weekend. Don't tell them you will be staying home but do tell them you will be turning off your cell phones and pagers and that the babysitter will contact you if there's a real emergency. Hearing your son's voice during a romantic weekend can bring a screeching halt to your romance. Clean up reminders of the youngest ones from the area of the house you'll be enjoying with your love. For example: clean up all toys, bottles and clothing from your bedroom, kitchen and living room.
2. Good personal hygiene and taking the time to change bed sheets, clean the bathroom, and all other rooms will secure a comfortable weekend.
3. Turn off pagers, phones and computers, let the answering machine do its job. Only check your answering machine a minimal amount of times.
4. Plan ahead some things to do and do other things spur of the moment. Here are some fun, romantic ideas:
- Rent romantic movies
- Visit nearby museums
- Go on a picnic
- Visit a winery
- Play a romantic game or activity
- Talk about your favorite past dates together
- Shop for new lingerie and sexy loungewear
- Take a walk in a secluded area
- Build a campfire and roast marshmallows
- Visit a cozy restaurant
- Shop for romantic items, taking turns picking things for the evening
- Have a few bottles of good wine on hand or the ingredients for some fancy mixed drinks
- Non-drinkers, use sparkling cider or club soda in wine glasses for a festive mood
- Visit a coffee shop
- Cook simple meals together
- Light your candles - for safety, use flameless candles
- Dress in your best and turn your dining area into a cozy area using your best dinnerware
- Play music from when you first met or love songs you can dance to
- Sleep in together
- Have simple breakfast foods ready such as, muffins, fruit and juice so you don't have to cook or cleanup
- Have a few surprises or small gifts on hand to add to the excitement
5. Don't interrupt your romantic weekend with business, cleaning , yard work or television.
6. Send your love a Thank You card a few days later. Thank them for a wonderful time and let them know you can't wait till your next romantic rendezvous.